$3.5b to reduce emissions

Desh Sahae of the consulate of the Kingdom of Tonga with Samoa's associate minister for environment Lemi Taefu and Fiji's energy department director Mikaele Helena asia-pacific regional high level forum on green economy in Bangkok. Picture: SAKIASI WAQANIVAVALAGI

FIJI will need a total investment of $US1.67 billion ($F3.58b) to reduce emissions and achieve its nationally determined contribution (NDC) target by 2030, Energy Department director Mikaele Belena told the Asia-Pacific Regional High Level Forum on Green Economy in Bangkok yesterday.

Mr Belena, who was part of the International Solar Alliance panel, told discussants and participants that Fiji had put in place programs to decarbonise the economy.

He said Fiji had five-year and 20-year development plans, but the two important targets relevant to the sector were:

  • to provide electricity to all Fijians by 2021.Currently electricity is available to 97 per cent and within the next two to three years the focus is the remaining 3 per cent; and,
  • Increase renewable energy mix to 100 per cent by 2036.The current mix stands at 60 per cent renewable and 40 per cent petroleum fuel.

“For our NDC targets we have a 30 per cent emission reduction by 2030. 20 per cent to be achieved through renewable energy and 10 per cent through energy efficiency,” he added.

In a further breakdown on Fiji’s implementation plans, Mr Belena said for solar PV, mostly for grid connect system, Fiji was looking at 32 mega watts.

More Stories