21-day notice to remove sunken vessel
15 April, 2018, 12:00 am
THE owners of a fishing vessel that ran aground outside the main Suva passage reef on Wednesday night has been given a 21-day notice to have the vessel removed.
Responding to queries from this newspaper, Fiji Ports Corporation Ltd (FPCL) chief executive officer, Vajira Piyasena confirmed the vessel was FV Lu Rong Yuan Yu 168.
He said the removal order was issued to the agent of the vessel on Friday morning under Part 8 Section 27 of the Sea Ports Management Act 2005.
Mr Piyasena said FPCL was now liasing with the Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji (MSAF), the vessel owner, agent and South Sea Towage Ltd (SSTL) on the containment and recovery of oil and the removal of the vessel.
He said they had been contacted by Dover Marine that they had been appointed by the vessel’s insurance broker in Singapore to act as salvage consultant for the removal of the fishing vessel.
“Dover Marine is co-ordinating with SSTL on its removal plan and operation,” Mr Piyasena said.