10 evac centres activated up north
5 February, 2023, 1:06 pm
Ten evacuation centres were activated in the Northern Division on Friday.
Minister for Rural and Maritime Development and Disaster Management Sakiasi Ditoka said 350 people from 116 households were accommodated in those evacuation centres.
In a news conference yesterday, he confirmed that all evacuees had returned to their homes.
“I can confirm that only the Northern Division had been affected by this adverse weather condition,” Mr Ditoka said.
“The National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) was activated on skeletal operation earlier yesterday (Friday) to work with the divisional, provincial, and district EOCs in monitoring flash flooding in the Northern Division.
“Upon its activation, the NDMO received reports of flooding in low-lying and flood-prone areas across parts of the Northern Division.
“This resulted in the opening of 10 evacuation centres to accommodate 350 people from 116 households who had been affected by the floods.”
Mr Ditoka thanked the members of the public for adhering to the warnings issued by the authorities and quickly moving into the designated evacuation centres for their safety.
He confirmed that all 10 evacuation centres were closed yesterday.