Winston victims await help
28 April, 2018, 9:59 am
TWO years after Severe Tropical Cyclone Winston hit Fiji, there are still some Fijians living in tents in Tailevu and there are no funds to assist them. During the Tailevu Provincial Council meeting, Namena district representative Isoa Manulevu asked government officials on what assistance would be given these people.
Mr Manulevu said there were still some families in the district of Namena who had lost everything and had not been assisted since Severe TC Winston struck two years ago.
He said they were told by Commissioner Central Setareki Tale during a talanoa session led by the Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama on Thursday that funds set aside for Severe TC Winston rehabilitation had been depleted.
Provincial administrator Tailevu, Josefa Rokonai told Mr Manulevu that Mr Tale had spoken extensively regarding the issue, informing him that he needed to submit the names of those still living in tents and the commissioner’s office, who would look into other projects that they could source funds from.
The Tailevu Provincial Council meeting ended yesterday.