THE RISE OF XI JINPING
24 March, 2018, 12:00 am
* June 15, 1953 – XI IS BORN
Mr Xi Jinping is born in Beijing a “princeling” child of an official. His father, Xi Zhongxun, fought in the Communist revolution and later served as an official, rising to become a liberal-minded vice premier.
* 1974 – PARTY MAN
Mr Xi joins the Communist Youth League and then, in 1974, the party, at the age of about 21.
* December 4, 1982
– TERM LIMITS INTRODUCED
* October 21, 2007 – ELITE COMMITTEE
Mr Xi is promoted into the Politburo Standing Committee. Mr Xi also becomes a vice-chairman of the Central Military Commission.
* March 15, 2008 – VICE PRESIDENT
The National People’s Congress elects Xi vice president.
* November 15, 2012 – TOP POSITIONS
Mr Xi is named general secretary of the Communist Party, and also becomes chairman of the Central Military Commission.
* December 2012 – ANTI-CORRUPTION SALVOS FIRED
Mr Xi pledges to crack down on “tigers and flies” in the party and launches what is to become China’s most sweeping anti-corruption drive.
* March 14, 2013 – PRESIDENT
The National People’s Congress elects Mr Xi president.
* October 24, 2017 – ENSHRINED
* October 25, 2017 – PARTY CHIEF AGAIN
Mr Xi is handed a second term as general secretary of the party during the 19th Party Congress.
* March 11, 2018 – END OF TERM LIMITS
The National People’s Congress votes nearly unanimously to abolish term limits for the presidency.
* March 17, 2018 – Second TERM AS PRESIDENT