IN his letter to the Ministry of Trade, Food4Less supermarket managing director Mr Rudra Prasad pointed out the following factors which he claimed followed the six-year shortage of whole chicken and chicken portion:
* The average person pays 3.5 hours of work for No.15 frozen packed chicken.
* The same size chicken is sold for $78.99 in New Zealand on average wage of $16 an hour.
* Chicken is currently the primary source of protein available to the population of Fiji.
* Neighbouring island nations are enjoying chicken products at much lower prices.
* Local producers are unable to meet the local market demand levels at an affordable price.
* The price of frozen-packed chicken has increased during the six years of shortage.
* Local manufacturers were given ample time to increase productions but have failed.