THE National Fire Authority has revealed that overheating of the engine resulted in a bus catching fire in Savusavu on Friday.
"Investigations showed that the fire started from the engine compartment because it overheated but we are really grateful to the driver for his quick action," said the divisional fire officer northern John Pillay.
"It was fortunate none of the 45 passengers got hurt and the fire was controlled," he said.
Mr Pillay has pleaded with the public to stop carrying flammable liquids like kerosene, diesel and premix in buses because it was vulnerable to fire.
"We are also requesting drivers to disallow passengers carrying such flammable liquids inside the bus because it is harmful in cases of fire.
"The NFA is also reiterating the need for drivers to learn fire safety tips so they know what to do when fire incidents occur in the bus," he said.
It was earlier reported the passengers jumped out of the windows for their safety when the bus caught fire in Urata on Friday afternoon after leaving Savusavu for Labasa.