A FAMILY watched in terror as a lightning bolt travelled through their home on Saturday afternoon.
The lightning bolt broke louvre blades, burnt the meter box, cracked the cement foundation, ripped the ceiling open and left a 13-year old boy suspended in the air before falling on the bed.
The lightning also left five families in the area with burnt television sets.
It also turned a Fiji Electricity Authority pole - close to the home of Dinesh Prasad in Siberia, outside Labasa Town - black.
Mr Prasad who was not at home when the incident happened thanked God for sparing the life of his 13-year old son Avishek Prasad.
Avishek was at home with his mother and brother when the incident happened about 5pm.
"I was lying in the room and I saw a light cross the corridor and I heard loud bangs like bombs," he said.
"I was watching a movie and then within minutes I was in the air.
"I didn't feel anything but while in the air, I heard continuous sounds of explosion and after a few seconds, I fell on the bed again.
"I was so scared and when I ran to the sitting room, my mum was sitting there holding her legs as she felt a tingle go through her feet," Avishek said.
The lightning bolt tore down leaves of a coconut tree behind the home before burning the electricity meter box and entering the family home.
Behind the house is a ditch that was dug by lightning bolt and slit plastic bottles piled outside.
Avishek said when he looked outside, he saw the electric line from his home to the FEA pole on fire.
"The wire was burning and my mum took me and my brother to the room where we cuddled in a corner.
"I will never forget that day and I only thank God for keeping me safe," Avishek said.
His dad, Mr Prasad said Avishek was taken to the hospital on Saturday evening but was cleared by doctors. "They kept him for a few hours for observation but then he was OK and we came back home," he said.
"He is still OK today showing no signs of illness.
"I was in the market when the incident happened and when my wife called me, I rushed back home and it is God who has kept my family safe," said Mr Prasad.
Neighbour Subash Chandra said his television set blew.
"About five families including mine are without television because it burnt when the lightning struck.
"We saw the lightning fall in the area and within seconds, our televisions blew and we still can't watch anything," said Mr Chandra.