POLICE are warning people to be careful and parents urged to monitor their children after three people ended up in the Lautoka Hospital this week as a result of the careless handling of fires.
Police spokesman Inspector Atunaisa Sokomuri said in the first incident, two children, aged five and 12 years, suffered 11 and 20 per cent burns respectively as a result of an explosion from empty perfume cans while burning rubbish at Drasa, Lautoka, on Wednesday.
"In the second incident at Varadoli, Ba, a 31-year-old woman was rushed to the hospital after she got burnt trying to light firewood with kerosene," Insp Sokomuri said.
He said the woman's clothing caught fire but fortunately she was aided by relatives and rushed to the Lautoka Hospital.
She suffered 50 per cent burns and is being closely monitored by health authorities.