INVESTIGATIONS are continuing on the cause of a fire that destroyed a house in Navudi, Labasa, over the weekend.
National Fire Authority chief executive officer John'O Connor said the incident happened at 1pm on Saturday while the house was vacant.
Mr O'Connor said the owners of the house were visiting relatives when the incident happened.
"When our officers arrived at the scene the house, which is a corrugated wooden house, was already burning. It is alleged that the fire had started from an uncontrolled fire that was lit by neighbours who were burning their rubbish," said Mr O'Connor.
"It is fortunate that the house was vacant and that the fire did not cost any lives."
Mr O'Connor has called on members of the public to be cautious when burning rubbish during this dry weather.
"Last week we had two cases of house fires that were caused by bush fires," he said.
Meanwhile, police spokesman Inspector Atunaisa Sokomuri said the cost of damage was estimated at $30,000.