SOME parents are thanking their lucky stars after their children arrived home unhurt following a fire that destroyed a classroom block at Korotari Primary School in Labasa on Monday afternoon.
The fire, which occurred after 3.30pm, is understood to have destroyed four classrooms with all its contents.
Speaking on behalf of the parents, Prem Chand said none of the children got hurt, something they were grateful for.
"The fire happened after school hours when the students had all left for home," Mr Chand said.
"When we saw the fire, most of us panicked thinking that some of the students were trapped inside the block but luckily, no one got hurt. We are just thankful that this incident happened after school and no one was injured."
NFA CEO John O'Connor said they received a call at 3.45pm but because of the distance and bad road conditions, the fire officers did not make it on time to the scene.
"When the officers arrived at the scene, the block was completely destroyed by fire," Mr O'Connor said.
"The fire destroyed two classrooms, the library and a language room. No one was injured.
"At the moment, we are still continuing with our investigations."