A LAUTOKA businessman believes if his call to the 911 emergency line had gone through, his home would still be standing today.
Anup Prasad, along with 10 family members including his two school-aged children, were left homeless after fire completely destroyed his four-bedroom residence at Bavadra Rd in Kashmir on Saturday night.
He said while he was glad that no one was injured or killed in the blaze, the result could have been a whole lot worse.
"We are told to call the emergency line 911 but what happens when no one answers that call," the 30-year-old said.
"We have lost everything. The only possessions we have to our name are the clothes that we are wearing."
Mr Prasad said his immediate concern was getting his two children back to school as soon as possible.
National Fire Authority CEO John O'Connor said his officers rushed to the scene immediately after Mr Prasad informed them of the blaze.
"Unfortunately, the home was completely engulfed by the time we arrived on the scene," he said.
"We are urging members of the public to call our stations directly if they are unsuccessful in trying to get through to the 911 emergency number."