* AT A GLANCE: Argentina beat Switzerland 1-0 in extra time and Belgium defeated the US 2-1, also in extra time.
* PLAYER OF THE DAY: Lionel Messi. Once again, Messi created Argentina's best opportunities and his astute pass set up Angel Di Maria's goal in the 118th minute to knock out Switzerland.
* TALKING POINT: Belgium's wasteful performance against the US. Belgium notched up 38 shots on goal and yet were still forced in extra time to break the 0-0 deadlock yesterday.
* QUOTE OF THE DAY: "(My) heart was full of emotions. These are emotions you can only have with football; that's why I love football." — Swiss coach Ottmar Hitzfeld in an emotional goodbye as he quit after a dramatic loss to Argentina.
* STAT OF THE DAY: 16. The number of saves by US goalkeeper Tim Howard — the most in the World Cup since 1966.