* AT A GLANCE: France beat Nigeria 2-0 and Germany defeated Algeria 2-1 in extra time.
* PLAYER OF THE DAY: Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer. Neuer was forced to act as a sweeper more often than not in the team's tough 2-1 win against Algeria.
* TALKING POINT: Germany's unimpressive extra time victory. The German media labelled the performance as "sloppy" and described the side's defensive effort "laughably disorganised". Deutsche Welle said the victory was "a struggle ... (yet) ultimately the most effective answer was simple attrition."
* QUOTE OF THE DAY: "You don't have to play fantastic every match. You have to win." — Germany coach Joachim Loew after his side's 2-1 win.
* STAT OF THE DAY: 0. The number of African teams left in the 2014 World Cup after Nigeria and Algeria exited yesterday.