A LAUTOKA mother is still waiting for word from the Nauruan Government on the circumstances surrounding her son who is stranded in Nauru.
Sunita Devi said Sanil Jeet Singh travelled to Nauru for work purposes but became unhappy with the work conditions after arriving there.
She claimed his passport was in the possession of immigration officials.
In response to queries from The Fiji Times, the Nauru High Commission in Suva last week said they would arrange for him to return on June 29.
Speaking by telephone from Nauru yesterday, Mr Singh claimed he had applied to join a company hiring carpenters to work in Nauru and was promised a pay rate of $A8 ($F13) per hour. Since starting work in March, he said he had only been paid twice.
Mr Singh also claimed he was mistreated by his employer, alleging he was only given one meal each day and was cleaning his employer's home.
He also claimed upon his arrival on March 19, immigration officials took his passport which had not been returned.
Attempts to contact the office of the Nauru President, Baron Waqa, and the Nauru High Commission this week have been unsuccessful.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs referred all queries to the Nauru High Commission.