THE LEVUKA Public School reunion, scheduled to begin tomorrow, has attracted numerous people who have fond memories of the days they spent at the school.
The school, which opened its doors for children in Levuka, began classes on Monday in August 1879.
The roll of the school was first recorded on October 6 of the same year, proudly noting 137 students — and this generally increased to 1880 in a year's time.
The first headmaster of the school was from Australia and his wife accompanied him to Levuka where they were also the first teachers of the school.
The Levuka hostel opened its doors to first accommodate boarders in the school in 1908.
The boarding facility was made possible through a 1500 (pound) ($F4619) grant that was acquired by government back in 1906. A booklet published by the Fiji Times & Herald Limited in 1978 stated since its establishment in 1879, a new classroom was added to the remaining school block in 1910 and another at a later date.
"In 1913 a technical school was added to the facilities and the boys were taught carpentering and metalwork as well as boat building," the booklet read.
"Here, many of the skilled carpenters in the colony today received their early training.
"Thus, we come to the modern days of an institution which has played no small part in the life of the colony in general and of the town of Levuka in particular."
The 135th Levuka Public School reunion started on Saturday with a meet and greet ceremony, followed by a delegation from Suva travelling to Levuka today to be part of the four-day ceremony which begins tomorrow and ends on Saturday.