THE two structural fires in the Western Division last week has sparked a renewed call by the police for residents to take extra precautions when handling or storing flammable products.
West media liaison officer Naina Ragigia said a teacher's quarters in Lomawai, Sigatoka, suffered damage and a house containing three flats in Kerebula, Nadi, was destroyed by fire. Both incidents happened in the early hours of the morning and no deaths or injuries were recorded.
"The teacher's quarters at Lomawai was vacant at the time of the incident, while the incident at Kerebula had occupants inside," she said.
"While police and fire investigations continue into the matter, the general public is urged to be extra vigilant when leaving their houses vacant making sure that inflammable products are safely kept in storage facilities."