Fiji Time: 6:09 PM on Tuesday 23 December

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / Sport

Ba soccer bans media

Maciu Malo
Friday, June 20, 2014

SOCCER giant Ba has placed a media ban on the team in relation to their preparation towards the Vodafone Fiji FACT tournament scheduled at Nausori's Ratu Cakobau Park today.

Team manager Arvind Singh said the management and the players have been issued an ultimatum to refrain from speaking to the media.

He said the players were informed to focus on the job at hand as Ba hopes to better its last year's performance where they lost 1-3 to Shop and Save Nadi in the final.

"We have been informed not to talk to the media and we will just do our talking on the field."

Team president Rishi Kumar said the side wanted to keep a low profile on their preparation.

"This year we want to have a low profile," said Kumar.

Some of the key players to spearhead the men-in-black are sharp shooter Avinesh Waran Swammy, prolific striker Maciu Dunadamu, tough defender Jone Vesikula, Marika Madigi, Josefa Naibuli, Remuera Tekiata, Kiniviliame Naika and veteran Peni Finau.

The side will also feature five players from the national under 20 side as its quest to win back the title they last won in 2010.

Uprising striker Praneel Naidu who scored the winning goal against the Solomon Islands in the recent OFC U20 competition will play alongside his fellow U20 team mates in Saula Waqa, Samuela Nabenia, Ravnit Chand, Misiwani Nairube and Narendra Rao.

Star striker Osea Vakatalesau and Mavileko Nakama have been excluded from the side due to injuries.

Ba is pooled with Nadroga, Rewa and Labasa.