Fiji Time: 7:56 AM on Thursday 30 June

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / News

Grand Old Lady regains her landmark status

Avinesh Gopal
Friday, June 06, 2014

IT is a great event as far as Fiji's aviation industry is concerned .

And there could have been no better place than the Grand Pacific Hotel in Suva to hold the gala dinner and celebration to mark the event tonight.

The hotel, once known as the Grand Old Lady, was a landmark of Suva and it is slowly set to regain its status following restoration works to the old building.

A soft launch of the hotel, which has new wings added to the Colonial era structure, is expected to be held this month followed by the grand opening in July.

The Fiji National Provident Fund owns 25 per cent of the hotel while the remaining 75 per cent is owned by two companies from Papua New Guinea.

Before its closure in 1992, the hotel was known for hosting major events and dignitaries such as Queen Elizabeth II, who addressed the crowd from the hotel's balcony.

Tonight, Fiji Airways will hold a gala dinner and celebration at the hotel to launch Fiji Link, which is the new brand for Pacific Sun.

During the hotel's birthday celebration last month, FNPF's deputy board chairman Tom Ricketts told the gathering that he had known GPH since the 1950s.

He said he was happy to be on the board of GPH and put it back to where it belonged "and is probably one of the best hotels in the South Pacific".

Like him, there are other people who knew the Grand Old Lady before it closed for business in 1992.

Balram Singh, 73, used to supply seafood to the hotel's kitchen in the early 1980s and he once had some beer at the hotel bar.

Some people who worked there and are still alive also have memories of their employment at the once Grand Old Lady.








Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Westpac
Code Inward TTs Outward TTs
CAD 0.63220.6132
JPY 50.597447.5974
GBP 0.36260.3546
EUR 0.43850.4265
NZD 0.69540.6624
AUD 0.66050.6355
USD 0.48740.4704

from

$0.00

Exchange Rate updated on 29th June 2016

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. Home on a mission
  2. Monster fish halts traffic
  3. Nowhere to turn to
  4. Big dough for Radradra
  5. Kane feels at home after Fijian reception
  6. Parliament instability
  7. Rabuka has first meeting with executives
  8. Crusaders arrive for Super Rugby match
  9. Fight against cyber crime
  10. 'Fiji's vaccine coverage higher than most countries'

Top Stories this Week

  1. Hayne works on 'God's call' Friday (24 Jun)
  2. Early morning catch wows crowd at Labasa fish market Tuesday (28 Jun)
  3. Police confirm discovery at Natadola beach Friday (24 Jun)
  4. Resignation threat Saturday (25 Jun)
  5. Home on a mission Wednesday (29 Jun)
  6. Rabuka in Saturday (25 Jun)
  7. Body parts Tuesday (28 Jun)
  8. INTERPOL assists with Natadola gruesome discovery, missing couple Monday (27 Jun)
  9. 2016-2017 Budget: The major drivers of economic growth Thursday (23 Jun)
  10. Monster fish halts traffic Wednesday (29 Jun)