DUBLIN, Ohio- Tiger Woods struggling to return to top form after undergoing back surgery, will not play in the 2014 US Open next month, he announced on his website on Wednesday.
The American had not competed since the final round of the WGC-Cadillac Championship in March.
The three-time champion underwent microdiscetomy surgery to relieve a pinched nerve on March 31.
"Unfortunately, I won't be there because I'm not yet physically able to play competitive golf," Woods said. "I'd like to convey my regrets to the USGA leadership, the volunteers and the fans that I won't be at Pinehurst. The US Open is very important to me, and I know it's going to be a great week."
This will be the sixth major championship the 14-time major winner had missed because of injuries and the second time in four years he had been forced out of the US Open.
Woods said on his website that he was physically unable to play golf at a high level.
The announcement did not come as a surprise. He said a week ago he still had not taken a full swing with a golf club.
Woods had not indicated when he might be able to return to competition, saying that will be up to his doctors and how he recovers from the surgery.
"Despite missing the first two majors and several other important tournaments, I remain very optimistic about this year and my future," he said.
Woods also missed four months of the 2011 season with knee and achilles injuries.