Fiji Time: 2:03 PM on Tuesday 31 May

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / News

Drop in milk supply

Mere Naleba
Tuesday, May 27, 2014

THE Fiji Co-operative Dairy Company Limited (FCDCL) is expecting a further decrease in milk production for the coming months as we enter the cold season.

Company CEO Sachida Nand said the decrease in production was always expected around this time of the year.

The decrease would further add to the 21 per cent decrease in milk production for FCDCL in the first quarter of the year.

Mr Nand said the decrease in production was mainly because dairy farmers could not meet the high cost of production.

He said 17 registered bulk farmers produced 1.17million litres of milk for the first quarter of last year but compared to the same period this year, they only managed to produce 0.92litres of milk.

"The bulk farmers produce the most in terms of 60 per cent of the milk and the remaining 230 farmers produce the 40 per cent," Mr Nand said.

"Big suppliers from Waidalice and Naitasiri had a six per cent and four per cent decline in production."

He said the 21 per cent decrease in production was just the tip of the iceberg.








Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Westpac
Code Inward TTs Outward TTs
CAD 0.61980.6008
JPY 53.390050.3900
GBP 0.32380.3158
EUR 0.42620.4142
NZD 0.71570.6827
AUD 0.66380.6388
USD 0.47690.4599

from

$0.00

Exchange Rate updated on 31st May 2016

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. Rio dilemma
  2. Former council worker jailed for raping girl, 16
  3. Chiefly dispute
  4. A-G warns against abuse of home initiative
  5. Shark attack survivor falls just short
  6. State pushes for vital Bills
  7. Fiji, France negotiate further military co-operation
  8. 85,000 study in tents
  9. Different approach to Savusavu tourism
  10. FLOTSAM AND JETSAM

Top Stories this Week

  1. Tears of joy for Jerry's family Thursday (26 May)
  2. Hayne, Ryan miss out Wednesday (25 May)
  3. Prophecy of Nasautoka Come and drink of this life-giving water Sunday (29 May)
  4. Remains of missionary receives a proper burial 200 years later Friday (27 May)
  5. Mother 'locks up' son to go clubbing Sunday (29 May)
  6. Families live in fear Friday (27 May)
  7. 7s fans disappointed Thursday (26 May)
  8. 13 for Rio Saturday (28 May)
  9. Man found dead Monday (30 May)
  10. Fiji Airways gives free trip to 7s players Wednesday (25 May)