Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 8:08 PM on Sunday 21 September

/ Front page / Sport

O'Connor eyes return

Aap
Wednesday, May 14, 2014

GOLD COAST - Queensland Reds halfback Will Genia would welcome the recruitment of James O'Connor but only if the exiled back is wholly committed to the Super Rugby franchise.

The Queensland Rugby Union refuses to deny reports the 23-year-old is close to concluding a deal with the Reds for a return to Australian rugby in 2015.

Having developed a reputation as a disruptive influence following departures from the Western Force and Melbourne Rebels in recent seasons as well as having his ARU deal ripped up last year, O'Connor headed to the northern hemisphere to keep his rugby career alive.

The versatile back is currently playing for London Irish in England and is believed to have signed a deal with French club Toulon for next season but a move to the Reds for next year's Super Rugby competition would give O'Connor a chance to get himself back in the Wallabies setup ahead of next year's World Cup.

Genia was adamant the out-of-form Reds must not chase players who aren't prepared to become a part of the team's culture, regardless of how talented they are.

"There's no denying he is a class player but again, if he was to come it'd have to be for the right reasons," Genia said.

"I'm sure from a cultural point of view those things are more important than any other things. We don't want to be saying yes to just anybody and everybody, guys have to want to come and come for the right reasons."

The man who sent O'Connor packing from the Force in 2011, Richard Graham, is now the coach of the Reds and it's assumed his presence is a hurdle to any move for O'Connor.


Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. It's all good
  2. Latest results
  3. SODELPA pulls out agents
  4. 32 seats for FijiFirst, says Bainimarama
  5. Bainimarama's ready to take country forward
  6. Candidate faces discipline
  7. Labour rejects observers report
  8. Call for a government of national unity
  9. Saneem assures unpaid workers
  10. FijiFirst ahead

Top Stories this Week

  1. FijiFirst claims 60 per cent Thursday (18 Sep)
  2. Searching for answers Monday (15 Sep)
  3. Girl, 12, murdered Monday (15 Sep)
  4. Shocked and disgusted Monday (15 Sep)
  5. Parties reject result Friday (19 Sep)
  6. Leader of the pack Thursday (18 Sep)
  7. No stop Friday (19 Sep)
  8. FijiFirst leads Thursday (18 Sep)
  9. Fiji First in strong lead: Fiji Elections Saturday (20 Sep)
  10. No $20m ransom Tuesday (16 Sep)