Fiji Time: 4:33 PM on Thursday 23 October

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / News

Council welcomes cane lorry concessions

Felix Chaudhary
Thursday, May 08, 2014

GOVERNMENT incentives provided to cane lorry operators over the past few years will continue this season, says Prime Minister and Minister for Sugar Rear Admiral Voreqe Bainimarama.

The move has been lauded by the Sugar Cane Growers Council.

SCGC CEO Sundresh Chetty said the continued support by the government to the industry was critical to the sustainable development of the sugar-cane business in the country.

"We welcome the announcement by the Prime Minister and are very pleased that lorry operators will once again be given concessions," he said.

"We only hope that some benefits from these concessions are passed on to growers in the form of reduced cartage rates."

The PM, during his address at the launch of two new cane varieties in Ba last week, said dispensation would be given to all cane lorries this season.

"As part of ensuring that this year's crushing season will not face any uncertainties and in my government's commitment to reduce all difficulties for all sugarcane growing stakeholders, I take this opportunity today to announce that the dispensation given to all cane lorries last year will continue for this cane crushing season," he said.





Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. Nadolo out
  2. Unapproved move
  3. Ruggers to shave
  4. School observe Diwali in style
  5. No rush
  6. Auditor cites poor record keeping
  7. Pink morning fundraiser
  8. Defacto partner charged with murder
  9. Fish spawning critical
  10. Diwali treat for elderly

Top Stories this Week

  1. False rumours warning Friday (17 Oct)
  2. Death shocks family Monday (20 Oct)
  3. Biman gets nod Saturday (18 Oct)
  4. Detailed report Friday (17 Oct)
  5. Inside Fiji sevens Tuesday (21 Oct)
  6. Public access Tuesday (21 Oct)
  7. Budget overspent Wednesday (22 Oct)
  8. 8-room home gutted Friday (17 Oct)
  9. Forgery suspect still in remand Tuesday (21 Oct)
  10. $20m in excess Wednesday (22 Oct)