THE accident at the Suva Bus Stand which claimed the lives of a 46-year-old woman and her three-year-old child on Monday highlighted two major issues, says the Suva City Council.
SCC chief executive Bijay Chand said congestion of buses and passengers crossing from virtually anywhere at the bus stand were a problem.
He said the SCC had plans to increase bus bays and provide proper places from where commuters could cross and go to their buses.
Mr Chand said SCC would now move at a faster pace to avoid such accidents in the future.
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro said according to the information they had, the driver of the Nasese Bus allegedly had difficulty in moving the bus when the Dee Cees bus driven by a checker moved.
She said the Dee Cees bus experienced problems and in the process hit the parked Nasese bus.
"The impact of this incident resulted in the Nasese bus hitting the Cityline Bus, where at that exact time it is unfortunate that the victims had been crossing between the two buses," Ms Naisoro.
Ms Naisoro said the autopsy of Seruwaia Rokoseru, 46, and Paulini Tubuna, 3, was conducted yesterday and the results show that the fatal injuries sustained were as a result of being in the accident.
She said police would lay charges after the LTA give their report and that the suspect, the Dee Cees checker was in police custody.
Dee Cees Bus Services Limited director Temo Chand said the company employee involved in the accident had a licence and he drove for the company in the morning, taking buses to the Bus Stand.
Nasese Bus Company has opted to remain quiet.