THE High Court trial of former director of the then-Native Land Trust Board Kalivati Bakani and Vanua Development Corporation chairman Keni Dakuidreketi will start a week later than scheduled.
Mr Bakani and Mr Dakuidreketi are each charged with five counts of abuse of office related to the purchase of the defunct software MYSAP for the then NLTB.
Yesterday, Justice Janaka Bandara said the judicial conference had been shifted and it would happen during the first week of the trial.
He asked the prosecution and defence whether to start the trial and break for the conference or start the trial the week after.
The lawyers agreed it would be wise to continue the trial uninterrupted.
Prior to the substantive matter, the court dismissed an application by Mr Dakuidreketi to quash the charges. Mr Dakuidreketi made the application on the grounds of duplicity, saying particulars in the five counts had been duplicated.
His counsel Wiley Clarke told the court that Mr Dakuidreketi wanted the release of his passport because he intended to travel abroad.
Mr Clarke said the matter had been discussed with the prosecution and there was no objection. The trial will start on June 23.