TRAGEDY struck grandfather Kamal Chand yesterday when the place he called home for the past 35 years went up in flames.
The early morning blaze destroyed the five-bedroom house, however, luck was on the family's side as all seven of them managed to escape unhurt.
Mr Chand said the fire broke out in the kitchen when the kerosene stove exploded around 3am; the first thing he did was to save his three grandchildren.
"We are very lucky," Mr Chand, 46, said.
"When I saw flames coming out from the kitchen, I just took the three children outside. By this time both their parents were also trying to get them out.
"We were lucky no one was injured even though everything burnt down."
National Fire Authority CEO John O'Connor said his officers attended to the house fire incident at Naidiri settlement in Tacirua which destroyed a five-bedroom house leaving seven people homeless.