Fiji Time: 10:59 AM on Saturday 1 November

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / News

Family homeless

Siteri Sauvakacolo
Friday, April 04, 2014

TRAGEDY struck grandfather Kamal Chand yesterday when the place he called home for the past 35 years went up in flames.

The early morning blaze destroyed the five-bedroom house, however, luck was on the family's side as all seven of them managed to escape unhurt.

Mr Chand said the fire broke out in the kitchen when the kerosene stove exploded around 3am; the first thing he did was to save his three grandchildren.

"We are very lucky," Mr Chand, 46, said.

"When I saw flames coming out from the kitchen, I just took the three children outside. By this time both their parents were also trying to get them out.

"We were lucky no one was injured even though everything burnt down."

National Fire Authority CEO John O'Connor said his officers attended to the house fire incident at Naidiri settlement in Tacirua which destroyed a five-bedroom house leaving seven people homeless.





Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. $22million con
  2. Seasonal jobs on
  3. Army reigns
  4. Election complaint
  5. Friends again
  6. Minister: Change is inevitable
  7. Bank pays out $2.7m dividend
  8. Worshipers fundraise
  9. Police probe drug raid
  10. Think about your health

Top Stories this Week

  1. PM's worry Sunday (26 Oct)
  2. Ryan speaks out Monday (27 Oct)
  3. 'Widespread abuse' Monday (27 Oct)
  4. Passport scam Wednesday (29 Oct)
  5. Theft by workers Monday (27 Oct)
  6. Equal rights Tuesday (28 Oct)
  7. Alert over fake visas Tuesday (28 Oct)
  8. Black sea Friday (31 Oct)
  9. Kepa: Treat all equally Monday (27 Oct)
  10. Woman dies in accident Wednesday (29 Oct)