CONCERTED efforts by members of the public in the fight against the continuing dengue fever epidemic have been positive.
National clean-up committee member Elia Lawena said the campaign wouldn't have been successful without the support of the public.
"Last Saturday we were really encouraged when a clean-up was arranged by a church group in Tacirua so we had to allocate a team to go and support them," Mr Lawena said.
"This is the kind of approach we ask the public to take.
"It's really encouraging when they go out of their way to do their own clean-up and arrangements because they want to join in the fight against the disease."
Mr Lawena said more than 50 tonnes of rubbish was collected last Saturday from all major campaign centres around the country.
"Lautoka collected over 17 tonnes while Suva had over 20 tonnes and we are yet to get the general reports from other divisions.
"We would like to seek public support and arranging their own clean-up programs would really assist.
A Health Ministry update last week stated that the average age of infections of dengue fever was 42 years and most cases were in the 10 to 39-year-old age group.
The ministry also said deaths had been recorded while 880 cases were recorded in the Central Division, 715 in the West and seven in Kadavu in the Eastern Division.
National adviser communicable diseases Dr Mike Kama said they had also been registering 1000 cases per week for the past six weeks.