A THREE-BEDROOM corrugated and wooden house in Bureta St in Samabula was completely destroyed by fire, leaving two families with nothing.
The two families could not salvage anything but the clothes on their backs as the fire spread quickly throughout their home yesterday.
One of the problems that the owners faced while trying to put out the fire when it started was the lack of water supply in their taps.
Homeowner Ivan Fong said water pressure was low during the time of the fire and that they had tried to put out the fire when it started.
"We had hired a gardener to come and clean our yard, he had collected some rubbish and had started to burn some of it at the back yard which was the cause of the fire," Mr Fong said.
"We wanted to stop the fire from spreading but there wasn't any water, the water pressure was very low, so we could not stop the fire then. We watched as the fire spread through the house and we were lucky no one was injured."
He said neighbours helped them try to save a few things but the fire had spread through the whole building quickly.
National Fire Authority CEO John O'Connor said they had received an emergency call around 11.55am and had responded right away.
Mr O'Connor said they managed to stop the fire from spreading to the other houses.
"People need to seek advice first before burning their rubbish close to their homes because fires can always spread quickly if the fires are not controlled," he said.