Fiji Time: 11:52 PM on Friday 27 November

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / News

Baby dies from burns

Felix Chaudhary
Saturday, March 15, 2014

A ONE-YEAR-OLD child died on Thursday after being allegedly scalded by hot water from an electric kettle at a home in Nawaka, Nadi.

As a result, police issued an advisory that parents and guardians seek medical assistance as soon as possible if a child is injured and not rely on herbal treatments when accidents occur.

"The victim's father allegedly applied some home remedies immediately after the incident took place," said police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro.

"However, later in the evening the child's condition had worsened whereby he was rushed to the Nadi Hospital and unfortunately pronounced dead on arrival.

"As investigations continue we are pleading with parents and guardians to seek medical assistance as soon as possible if and when their child is injured in any way."

Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Code Inward TTs Outward TTs
CAD 0.62590.6069
JPY 58.270455.2704
GBP 0.31140.3034
EUR 0.44340.4314
NZD 0.72230.6893
AUD 0.65460.6296
USD 0.47290.4559



Exchange Rate updated on 27th November 2015

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. Police look into allege gun use
  2. Hazelman on the world stage
  3. No way in
  4. Singh cautions Kumar on statements
  5. Village head, pastor face rape charge
  6. Talks begin on removal of fuel and sunken vessel
  7. Company looks at claims
  8. Violent impact
  9. Models arrive for show
  10. HOTEC exciting, says Naidu

Top Stories this Week

  1. Left for dead Wednesday (25 Nov)
  2. MV Suilven sinks Wednesday (25 Nov)
  3. 8 years for raping man Tuesday (24 Nov)
  4. MV Suilven sinks in Suva Harbour Tuesday (24 Nov)
  5. Friend indeed Monday (23 Nov)
  6. Torture suspects known to police Thursday (26 Nov)
  7. 'Racial slur' Sunday (22 Nov)
  8. Sevens hurdle Tuesday (24 Nov)
  9. Sex assault claim Thursday (26 Nov)
  10. Prof Prasad leaves school premises as 'mark of respect' Monday (23 Nov)