LAUTOKA resident Mohammed Shafiq says while he's thankful no one was hurt when fire destroyed parts of his home on Friday night, it's the loss of items of sentimental value that is difficult to accept.
"Some things like family photos cannot be replaced," he said.
"Rebuilding will be a slow and painful process but we will make it through somehow."
Mr Shafiq said no one was at home when the fire broke out.
He said he had lived at the Rifle Range property for about 20 years with his parents and a sibling.
Neighbours raised the alarm when thick smoke began to emerge from the building at about 11pm on Friday.
Mr Shafiq and his family have moved to his grandparents' residence at Field 40 in Lautoka.
Meanwhile, the National Fire Authority has warned all homeowners yet again to put fire safety lessons into practice.
CEO John O'Connor said fire safety was a serious issue because of the large number of structural fires in the country.
"Candles, prayer diyas, and kerosene lanterns should be placed properly in a safe place on a metal surface and must not be left unattended," he said.
Mr O'Connor said registered electrician should be used when electrical items were installed to avoid fire risks.