Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 4:35 PM on Monday 21 April

/ Front page / News

Casino talks resume

Shayal Devi
Monday, February 24, 2014

OFFICIALS from government and One Hundred Sands Limited will discuss the status of the proposed $290million casino to be built on Denarau.

Attorney-General Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum said this would be a chance to clarify the situation on hand.

He also confirmed that the company had been paying the penalties for the past four months.

"They have been paying their $US100,000 ($F188,000) penalties to the government," he said.

Last year the company was told to pay the fines to government for breach of licence when the company failed to start work on Fiji's exclusive casino.

Government also issued a statement that it would not hesitate to cancel the exclusive casino licence if One Hundred Sands could not demonstrate that the construction of the $290m project would begin.