Fiji Time: 1:34 AM on Tuesday 12 December

Fiji Times Logo

/ Front page / News

Poor roads affect villagers

Nanise Loanakadavu
Wednesday, February 19, 2014

IF the infrastructure on Kadavu is poor, businesses will not grow.

This is the sentiment of roko tui Kadavu Eroni Vunisa who said the major setback on the island was the lack of proper transport.

He said 90 per cent of the people on Kadavu used fibreglass boats and the remaining 10 per cent used four-wheel trucks.

"Here we don't have good standard roads which is a burden," Mr Vunisa said.

"For example, going from Kadavu to Buliya costs the council $600 for transportation alone."

Mr Vunisa said business was slowly booming because three vessels service the island — MV Sunuiwasa, MV Lomaiviti Princess and MV Uluinabukelevu — with six domestic flights a week.








Fiji Times Front Page Thumbnail

Kaila Front Page ThumbnailFiji Times & Kaila Frontpage PDF Downloads

Use the free Acrobat Reader to view.

Westpac
Code Inward TTs Outward TTs
CAD 0.62310.6041
JPY 55.586152.5861
GBP 0.36090.3529
EUR 0.41200.4000
NZD 0.71410.6811
AUD 0.64850.6235
USD 0.48650.4695

from

$0.00

Exchange Rate updated on 8th, December, 2017

Today's Most Read Stories

  1. SOCIAL MEDIA Alleged racist comments inquiry
  2. Fijians lose 7s final
  3. Bulitavu 'refute and reject' PM's statement
  4. Court awards landowners $47k
  5. Ministry welcomes minister
  6. Reddy is Minister for Waterways
  7. Church in politics
  8. United Pentecostal
  9. To'omalatai: I wish my dad was here, I really miss him
  10. Bull ordained as North bishop

Top Stories this Week

  1. First words at 21 Tuesday (05 Dec)
  2. Lautoka hospital departments closed till further notice Tuesday (05 Dec)
  3. Good Samaritan helps out Thursday (07 Dec)
  4. SODELPA releases candidates' names for 2018 elections Saturday (09 Dec)
  5. Call of duty Thursday (07 Dec)
  6. Qiliho calls to regulate cyber space Sunday (10 Dec)
  7. Fiji Airways begins Japan direct flights Wednesday (06 Dec)
  8. The lively Asena Friday (08 Dec)
  9. A-G: PM will make decision Wednesday (06 Dec)
  10. Banuve's challenge Friday (08 Dec)