HEALTH Minister Dr Neil Sharma has ordered an investigation in the circumstances surrounding the death of 18-year-old Lawrence Anthony of Nasinu.
Anthony died at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital last Wednesday.
In an Information Ministry statement released yesterday, Dr Sharma said he had directed hospital staff members to provide a full explanation of what had happened, and he would relay this to the family personally once the investigation was completed.
"I can fully understand the pain that Lawrence's parents, other family members and his friends feel," Dr Sharma said.
"They deserve an explanation and they will get it. In the meantime, I extend my deepest sympathy to them for their terrible loss."
Anthony's dad Anand Lal Anthony claimed in an interview with this newspaper his family wasn't given a satisfactory explanation of his son's sickness during his stay in the hospital. He claimed four doctors gave him four different explanations of his son's sickness.
"Lawrence had to be rushed to the CWMH on Monday morning because he was shivering and felt cold all of a sudden. From there we left everything to the medical professionals because they are the experts," Mr Anthony said.
"He was admitted for two days in the intensive care unit (ICU) and I was told by the first doctor he had a virus in his blood.
"The second doctor told me his kidney and liver were giving up and they prescribed medicine and pills which I bought because I wanted my son to get well.
"On Tuesday morning, another doctor told me Lawrence had very high dengue fever.
"I was really confused because I had been already told of two different sicknesses, however, both were not symptoms of dengue fever."
Mr Anthony said since he wasn't a medical expert, he had to accept what the doctors told him.