Update: 5:30PM HEALTH Minister Dr Neil Sharma has ordered an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of 18-year-old Lawrence Anthony last Wednesday.
Dr Sharma said he had directed the Colonial War Memorial Hospital staff to provide a full report of what happened and would relay this personally to the family once investigations were completed.
"I can fully understand the pain that Lawrence's parents, other family members and his friends must feel. They deserve an explanation and they will get it. In the meantime, I extend my deepest sympathy to them for their terrible loss," Dr Sharma said.
Lawrence's dad, Anand Lal Anthony, in an interview with this newspaper, claimed that his family wasn't given a satisfactory explanation of Lawrence's sickness during his two days in hospital.
"Lawrence had to be rushed to the CWMH on Monday morning because he was shivering and felt cold all of a sudden. From there we left everything to the medical professionals because they are the experts," Mr Anthony said.
"He was admitted for two days in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and I was told by the first doctor he had a virus in his blood.
"The second doctor told me his kidney and liver were giving up and they prescribed medicine and pills which I bought because I wanted my son to get well.
"On Tuesday morning, another doctor told me Lawrence had very high dengue fever.
"I was really confused because I had been already told of two different sicknesses, however, both were not symptoms of dengue fever."
Mr Anthony said since he wasn't a medical expert, he had to accept what the doctors told him.