Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 2:28 PM on Friday 25 April

/ Front page / News

New site for village

Felix Chaudhary
Monday, February 03, 2014

FLOOD-PRONE Semo Village will be relocated to an elevated area across the Queens Road from its current location.

Prime Minister Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama informed villagers that military engineers had inspected the proposed site last year and the move would be conducted later this year.

"Semo is a high risk area because it is located next to a river that is prone to flooding during periods of heavy rain," he said in the iTaukei language during a stopover.

"And the relocation has to happen as soon as possible to ensure you do not have to go through heartache every time floods happen."

Residents of Semo and nearby Nabau informed the PM one of their immediate needs was food rations to assist school children returning to school.

Heavy rain last week destroyed plantations and forced the evacuation of 300 people from Semo to Nabau.

Commodore Bainimarama said provincial officials would assist them and advised villagers that funds made available by the Food and Agriculture Organisation would be used to assist in the replanting of rootcrops and vegetable plantations.

The PM had also toured Kavanagasau before stopping at Semo and Nabau.