FIFTY eight families from Nawejikuma Settlement in Nawaka are ready to return home in Nadi following flash floods which forced them out of their homes earlier in the week.
Some of the 312 billeted at St Andrew's Primary School began moving back yesterday morning while others plan to return home today and tomorrow.
"These people have learned to evacuate early so they don't lose their belongings like they did the last time there was really bad flooding," said centre coordinator Torika Masinika.
"We started receiving our first families at around 2am on Thursday and we just kept receiving more since then. At the moment we have about 312 people."
Mrs Masinika said the evacuation centre was a temporary home to 95 children and 36 babies who were below 12 months of age.
"I live just nearby the settlement and what we do is that throughout the year we have meetings so we can discuss with settlement members the importance of stocking up on goods and other foods for this time of year.
So, in terms of food for them, they were better prepared this year and brought their food with them."