Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 11:32 PM on Thursday 18 September

/ Front page / News

300 evacuated from village

Jone Kalouniviti
Friday, January 31, 2014

ABOUT 300 people were evacuated from Semo Village outside Sigatoka before the river beside the village broke its banks yesterday.

At around midday, water had entered the village. By then the villagers had evacuated with their personal belongings and valuables to neighbouring Nabau, which is located on higher ground.

"We know what happened last year, so from 8am this morning we started moving to Nabau," said villager Sanaila Vitau.

"That's more than 300 people from 60 families."

Mr Vitau said that by 1pm, the water level had reached the doorsteps of some houses and was still rising.

"We have all 60 families out of the village now, mostly the elderly and the children were evacuated from 8am and the others moved out later," he said.

Only four families remained in the village hall.

This is the second time in just under 14 months that the village has been deluged. All 60 homes were under water during the floods of March 2012.