THE dengue clean-up campaign continues throughout the country and with the help of many, some good results are being achieved despite a continued rise in the number of cases.
As of yesterday, 1235 dengue positive cases have been recorded since October 30 last year — Central Division recorded 1051 cases, Western recorded 139 and Northern Division recorded 45 dengue positive cases.
"We have received a positive response from the public as people are 'cleaning up'. This includes discarding of old tins, cans, unused tyres, old drums and white goods," said Ministry of Health media officer Evlyn Mani.
Municipal councils have also reported positive developments.
"As far as we are concerned we feel that dengue cases are dying down in Nasinu. We will be carrying out the second phase of spraying in early February," said Bikesh Sharma of the Nasinu Town Council.
"We have already completed the first phase of both perifocal thermal spraying and spraying using Leco machines with the Ministry of Health team.
"All our seven wards have been sprayed including the 20 squatter settlements as well."
Mr Sharma said the national dengue clean-up campaign, which started on January 16, would continue for two weeks with Nasinu's continued involvement.