THE discovery of asbestos material has prompted the closure of the boy's dormitory at the Nasinu Secondary School.
Confirming this, Nasinu Town Council special administrator Mosese Kama said asbestos materials were detected by the council's environment health inspectors on the ceiling portion of the dormitory last month.
"Inspectors conducted an inspection of the school's male and female dormitories. Yes, it is true that asbestos material has been detected on the ceiling portion of the boys' hostel," Mr Kama said.
He said the school had been advised to remove the asbestos material immediately following the closure on Monday.
"These buildings were constructed some time back in 1982 by the then Public Works Department and according to the principal of the school these materials are to be removed."
Education Minister Filipe Bole said the building ceilings were also damaged resulting in water leakages.
"Maintenance is currently being carried out and the girls' facility is expected to be completed in a few days time while the boys' dormitory should be completed by next week," he said.
Mr Bole said while some repair works had been conducted, the dorm was expected to reopen next week.
School principal Poe Keleinavutoka said they catered for students from as far as Kiribati, Tuvalu, Nauru and other maritime islands.
He added students who had relatives in nearby Suva areas had to be sent back home where they would travel daily for classes until the dormitories were re- opened.
When The Fiji Times team visited the scene on Monday, students and parents queued up at the school with their boarding stuff only to be told that the school would only cater for those students who had travelled from afar.