EDUCATION Minister Filipe Bole has confirmed that all grants marked for school fees for schoolchildren across the country has been paid out.
Mr Bole said the grants have been paid out and classes for the new academic year will begin tomorrow, while teachers are to report to work today.
He said the dates for this year's new school year had been confirmed since last year and has not changed.
He said school management and teachers were to ensure that they were ready for the new school year.
"I am urging school managements and teachers to ensure that everything is in place to allow a smooth beginning for the 2014 academic year," he said.
"Parents and guardians should also be responsible for the readiness of their children when classes resume on January 21."
Mr Bole said school managements should create a learning environment that was conducive to learning for children.
"All classrooms should be ready and compounds neatly kept for a successful outing in 2014.
"All grants have been paid out to all the eligible schools to ensure that everything is ready before classes resume.
"I wish good luck to one and all as we prepare the journey for another academic year," he said.
School canteen operators have also been advised to follow the revised June 2013 School Canteen Guidelines.
The Health Ministry and the Education Ministry will be closely monitoring school canteens in their bid to increase wellness.
A Ministry of Information statement said the guideline booklets had been supplied to all schools.
The revised School Canteen Guidelines is based on current knowledge about nutritional health of children as well as the operation of school canteens.