Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 6:31 PM on Thursday 24 April

/ Front page / News

Boost to harvest

Salaseini Moceiwai
Wednesday, January 08, 2014

THE introduction of three more rice harvesters had been proposed for the Northern Division this year.

Principal Northern agricultural officer John Cox announced at last week's heads of department meeting in Labasa two of the harvesters would be used by Dreketi farmers and one by their Labasa counterparts.

"Rice farmers want mini-combined rice harvesters which cost $28,000 to $30, 000," he said.

"The farmers will have to pay one third of this amount in order for government to assist them with the machines."

He also said their focus this year was to rehabilitate vanilla farming in the North.