Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 2:27 AM on Thursday 17 April

/ Front page / News

Gruesome discovery

Maciu Malo
Thursday, December 19, 2013

A 33-YEAR-OLD woman and her seven-month-old daughter died gruesome deaths in their home near Viseisei, Lautoka yesterday.

And admitted at the Lautoka Hospital are three other children of the deceased — Sisi Taofa Patolo — who suffered serious injuries as a result of an alleged knifing incident. The children are a aged three to five years. Police have taken in a 22-year-old woman for questioning.

The killings shocked the quiet farming community located on the outskirts of Lautoka City and a large crowd started gathering in nearby houses as news of the killings spread.

Taxidriver Anand Prakash, 51, said it was an emotional and frightening experience for him when he was called to take the children to the hospital.

He said he could not believe his eyes when he saw the mother and her four daughters lying unconscious in a pool of blood.

Mr Prakash said it was traumatic and horrifying seeing the children unconscious in pools of blood.

He said he met the deceased's husband near the main road.

"The husband is a friend of my mine, he stopped the taxi and told me that he needs my help - saying something went wrong at his home," said Mr Prakash.

"As we reached his home, he told me to wait in the taxi and I could hear a loud cracking sound from inside the home.

"He then called me and I was shocked to see a mother and four children lying unconscious in a pool of blood. There was blood everywhere.

"I really didn't know what to do because I was frightened and at the same time feeling sorry for the young ones."

Mr Prakash said he was asked by the deceased's husband to transport the four children to hospital.

"Looking at the children inside my taxi, one cannot identify the injury marks because their bodies were covered with blood.

"It was sickening, I have never seen such a horrific scene in my life."

Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro said the incident was alleged to have occurred as a result of a domestic dispute between the deceased and the 22-year-old woman.

She said police received a report from health authorities that a woman and her child were brought to the hospital and were pronounced dead on arrival.