FIJIANS who want to send condolence messages to the family of Nelson Mandela can do so from next week.
In an interview yesterday, first secretary in the African High Commission in Suva Theo Mostert said messages should be dropped at their Gordan St office in Suva which would later be forwarded to Mr Mandela's family in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Mr Mostert said they would also open a condolence book in the coming week for the public to write their condolence messages.
"We are waiting for instructions from our head office on this matter but we will open a book of condolence during the coming week and the public will be informed accordingly," he said.
Mr Mostert said their flag was already on half-mast following a directive from their president Jacob Zuma yesterday.
He said while Africa had lost a great leader, Mr Mandela's work had been properly documented all over the world.
"I think it is well known and well documented all over the world that he was a true icon and statesman and dedicated his whole life for the betterment of all South Africans and the world.
"And it is a sad loss for our country and for the world."
Mr Mandela passed away at his home in Johannesburg on Thursday.