Fiji Times Logo

Fiji Time: 10:12 PM on Wednesday 16 April

/ Front page / News

Live wire electrocutes man

Serafina Silaitoga
Friday, December 06, 2013

A 44-YEAR-old man is dead after he was electrocuted while working on a roof of his uncle's house in Labasa.

Police have pleaded with people working near electrical wires to always contact the FEA.

Divisional police commander North Senior Superintendent Naulumatua Lutunacaucau said people should be more careful when working around live wires.

"In fact, they should call FEA first because they are the experts and will advise those who want to carry out the work," he said.

SSP Lutunacaucau said the man, a carpenter, was working with his uncle on the roof of his uncle's house at Qelewaqa when the incident happened on Wednesday.

"He was cutting a board so they could fit the electric wire through the PVC pipe and he touched the wire and was thrown down to the ground."

SSP Lutunacaucau said the man died on arrival at the hospital.