THE Chinese man who allegedly died as a result of injuries he sustained after he was punched by an iTaukei man had refused medical treatment during his first visit to CWM Hospital.
This was revealed in court yesterday from State witness investigating officer Detective Sergeant Senitiki Nasave's evidence.
The court heard that the deceased was taken to the hospital at 11.30pm on October 21 last year after the incident.
The court heard that the man was put in a wheelchair and taken to see a medical officer.
The court heard that he got out of the wheelchair and told his friends that he was OK and hopped into another taxi.
The police statement of his friend Lin Masheng, that was read out in court, stated the three Chinese nationals, all from the same province, went to Port Mua-i-Walu where they spent a few hours with other Chinese nationals who were at the wharf.
The statement said the victim was complaining of headaches so he was taken back to the hospital for the second time.
This was around 4:45am on October 22.
Lawyer Sevuloni Vakawaletabua, who represents the defendant, Aminio Rawaiduvu, asked Detective Sergeant Nasave to take a look at the statement of the taxidriver who transported the three Chinese man to the hospital the second time.
Taxidriver Rajend Prasad told police he had picked up the three passengers at Samabula near Gaji Rd.
Mr Prasad said when he picked up the three men, he noticed that the one who was motionless was semi-naked because he was wearing only a "short pants, he did not have any shirt or any other pants".
"Officer, can you please explain to the court how come there were inconsistencies in the statements of the witnesses," Mr Vakawaletabua asked.
Detective Sergeant Nasave said he believed the statement of the taxidriver.
The medical officer, Dr Anand Lal, who was on duty at the Accident and Emergency Department at the time, told the court that the man was in a comatose condition when he was brought in. The trial will continue on Tuesday.