MORE than 80 per cent of sugar cane has been harvested by farmers in the Moto and Naloto area in Ba.
Moto advisory councillor Arun Sharma said harvesting in their area had been going according to plan.
"We're really trying to ensure that all the gangs in our area are harvesting all of their sugar cane before the mill closes," Mr Sharma said.
"For the Moto and Naloto sector, we've been able to harvest more than 80 per cent of the cane.
"We've been told by FSC that the Rarawai mill will close on October 29, so everyone is rushing to meet that deadline."
He said while their sectors were on track to meet the deadline, other sectors had found it difficult to harvest all the sugar cane before the mills closed.
"Some farmers are finding it very difficult because they can't find lorry trucks to transport their harvest to the mills.
"Others don't have the labour or enough equipment for the work.
"It's unfortunate because a lot of them have a lot of sugar cane left to harvest but there is not enough time given to them."
However, he said some of these farmers facing difficulties were being helped by other farmers who were almost finished with their own harvests.
"Labourers from these farms move on to the other farms that need the help.
"They take their own equipment and it's good for them because they are able to help each other."
Meanwhile, the closing date for crushing at the Penang mill in Rakiraki was extended for 24 hours on Sunday while the Lautoka mill is set to close on October 26.