FIJIANS based in New South Wales, Australia are on high alert following the destructive fire that ravaged through the Blue Mountains area on Thursday.
And every precaution is being taken as hundreds of homes were destroyed and one person killed in the blazing ordeal.
According to Australian authorities, the fire is the gravest bushfire emergency in a decade.
Former Fiji resident Manisha Chand, who stays 10 minutes drive from the Blue Mountains area, said the whole area and atmosphere, including her house, was filled with smoke.
Mrs Chand said they had been experiencing poor visibility since Thursday.
"It was very bad yesterday. People were scared as thick black smoke engulfed the whole of the Blue Mountains area," she said.
Mrs Chand, formerly of Nausori, said people faced great danger as the fire continued to ravage the mountainous range.
"We are on high alert and police officers have told us to take extreme precaution.
"I am safe but we fear for our lives as the fire seems uncontrollable."
Mrs Chand said the Australian police told them not to go out for picnic, near burnt forest or to light a fire.
"We are staying indoors and watching the news for updates. The temperature has been really high here."
Another former Fiji resident, Mereyani Lawevuso, said they were told by police not to travel to affected areas and constantly monitor the news.
"We are OK. Thankfully we are not directly affected at the moment. We haven't lost anything," Mrs Lawevuso said.
The Telegraph reported that Sydney was hit by a severe fire danger rating with a total fire ban and a top temperature of a 34 degree forecast.
Information Ministry permanent secretary Sharon Smith-Johns said Fiji citizens in Australia were safe.
"We have not received any reports of Fijians being affected by the bushfire. They are all in safe hands," Ms Smith-Johns said.