THE Sugar Industry Tribunal has announced new dates for the termination of crush in the West.
Acting tribunal Anu Patel ordered the FSC to terminate crushing at Penang mill in Rakiraki on October 19, Lautoka on October 27 and Rarawai, Ba on October 29.
Mr Patel made the order after consulting Sugar Cane Growers Council CEO Sundresh Chetty and FSC executive chairman Abdul Khan.
Sugarcane growers and harvesting gangs in the three areas have been requested to make every effort to harvest all cane and deliver them to the mills by the following dates — October 18 Penang mill, October 26 for Lautoka and October 28 for Rarawai in Ba.
Mr Khan said so far 150,000 tonnes of cane had been processed and 1.37 million tonnes of sugar produced.
"We expect to crush 1.7million tonnes of cane and produce between 170,000 and 180,000 tonnes of sugar by the end of the season," he said.