TWO structural fires in the Central and Western divisions last Saturday has again prompted the National Fire Authority and the Fiji Police Force to plead for members of the public to continue to practice safety precautions.
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro said the fires in the three-bedroom house at Sakoca settlement in Tacirua and in a one-bedroom house at Tavarau settlement in Ba was believed to be caused by an electrical fault.
Ms Naisoro said the three bedroom house of a 53-year-old man was destroyed along with its contents but luckily there were no casualties, while the one bedroom house belonging to a 44-year-old fisherman was partially destroyed.
Ms Naisoro said the destroyed dwelling registered damage totalling $55,000 while the partly-destroyed house in Ba incurred damage totalling $2800.
"Members of the public should always practice safety and should always check electric switchboards are not overloaded and wiring in houses are carefully done.
"Most fires are preventable and it is only wise that people continue to re-check switches are switched off when they leave their homes empty," she said.