THE police have charged two men for allegedly defrauding the Education Ministry of about $60,000.
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro said the transactions allegedly took place between April 19 last year and July 6 this year.
One of the accused, a 33-year-old clerical officer, has been charged with 68 counts of falsification of document.
The second accused, a 27-year-old casual worker, has been charged with 43 counts of obtaining financial advantage by deception.
"It is alleged the first accused raised false vouchers together with bus fare ticket summaries under the name of the second accused, claiming the 27-year-old was providing transport services to students of a primary school.
"Altogether, accused number one then allegedly raised 43 cheque payments amounting to $59,403.80 drawn from the permanent secretary of Education's drawings account," Ms Naisoro said.
She said the accused were in police custody and will appear in Suva Magistrates Court tomorrow.